Does your medicine cabinet resemble a junk drawer? Mine did. It was full of various items that were intended for alleviating symptoms of things ranging from cold symptoms, to allergies, to ear pain, to diarrhea and/or nausea, or the dreaded hangover (not that I’ve ever had one myself…). Every time a family member would get sick with something, I’d fine myself climbing on top of the counter rummaging through all three shelves, only to discover the product I had was expired, or it wasn’t in the original package, so I couldn’t be sure it really was what I thought it was. What was really lame was when I needed to find something in the middle of the night. Ugh! But I bet it sounds familiar, huh?
I semi-recently purchased the Family Physician’s kit from Doterra, and this has thankfully all changed. Now my tools for alleviating symptoms fit into 1 small box and can be transported from room to room (see top picture). There’s no climbing or searching, or expired containers. The kit includes 10 essential oils (deep blue, breathe, on guard, digestzen, lavender, melaleuca, lemon, frankincense, peppermint, and oregano) which you can purchase for as little as $150 bucks. Considering what I would waste by throwing out expired products, I seriously thought this was a score!
10 essential oils is a lot of oils to know what to do with. My first thought was I know how to use a few of them, but really what will I do with the rest? Well I am here to tell you within the first week, I used every single one of them. I’d like to share with you at least one way I have used each of these oils, so you can see just how practical using them can be!
- Deep Blue: we use this to alleviate cricks in neck or other sore muscles
- Breathe: we use this on feet and chest to ease cold symptoms and break up congestion
- On Guard: We use it as soon as someone has signs of sickness, and as a preventative measure for the others in the family.
- Digestzen: We use to reduce the frequency of vomiting and diarrhea (one family member had a quick stomach bug).
- Lavender: We use it for sleep and for emotional flare ups with the kids and well, sometimes, myself…
- Melaleuca: We use it combined with lavender for eczema and ear pain.
- Lemon: We use this as a preventative and therapeutic oil much like on guard. It can work to build your immune system through detoxification. I also used it to add flavor to my latest shrimp dish.
- Frankincense: I use this to help with my son’s sensory processing symptoms, to help with depression and anxiety, and combined with lavender for sleep. Honestly, I am surprised I have any left!
- Peppermint: We use it for headaches, nausea, and for an energy boost
- Oregano: This is believed to have antiviral as well as antibacterial properties so I resort to this when sickness sets in. I also used it in my grain free pizza crust last night.
So there you have it; 10 oils and at least 10 uses. All for $150 bucks. There is no expiration date, no side effects, and everything comes from nature. Pretty sweet if you ask me.
As a side note, if you do purchase one of these kits, you automatically have the option of making commission (if you so happen to become a believer like me and share with others). With minimal effort you can at least get the costs of your oils covered. For me, I felt like there was nothing not to love about the products and the company, and when I thought about the idea of combining my desire to share real food with my love for these oils and how they work, it was the motivation I needed to go gang busters. My thought process was, I needed the oils anyways to care for my family, and here was the perfect opportunity for no extra costs, to try to build a business. So here I am, giving it a try, and giving myself an outlet for my passions while trying to make a difference in the lives of others. Thanks for being part of the journey.